Monday, November 10, 2008

Saving the best for last

More about the next book choice
Submitted by Natalie on Fri, 2008-10-03 04:05.
Once I found out about the book Who Killed My Daughter by Lois Duncan I visited the website that is dedicated to solving this horrible crime. It is a very through site with more information that has been discovered since the book has been written, also there is an excerpt from the follow up book Mrs. Duncan is writing. Once I read the book I left a message on the site for her. The following is the message and question I left and Mrs. Duncan's reply.
Question: I grew up reading your books and recently decided that I wanted to reread them. After going to the Albuquerque (where I live) Page One bookstore I looked for the books but they were out of them. Then one of the rep told me about your story and I knew that I wanted to read it. I got it from Amazon. I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter and the way she was taken from you and your family. I am disgusted at the way APD treated this case and you as well. I am so sadden to hear that they have not made any effort to solve this case and am somewhat frightened to know that NM is so heavily involved in this mess. I have set this book as the next book to read for my book club. I hope that with continued interest Kaitlyn's case will never be put to rest until it is solved.

Here is the link to the site and my question/reply
http://kaitarquette.arquettes.com/

Do you still make contact with her by psychic or after she sent to the note in the civil war book did she cross over?
Asked on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 at 09:09:33 PM

Reply: Thank you for making the effort to order WHO KILLED MY DAUGHTER?. I hope that you, and anyone else who is reading this and lives in Albuquerque, will suggest to Page One and other book stores that they stock this book. If there's one place in the country I want it to be easily available, it's Albuquerque.

I did continue to have what I consider "visitation dreams" for several years after the book was published. Then, in one of those dreams, Kait said, "I can't do this anymore." I asked her, "Why?" and she said, "It's been too long." I never had a visitation dream again.

However, I still occasionally have dreams that are different from regular dreams and contain information about the case. When our private investigator follows up on it, it turns out to be valid. I don't know if that information is coming from Kait or from some other source.
Answered by: Kait

I am going to ask Page One to re-order some and give them to my mom and sister to read. I think once you read this book you will be as touched by it as I was.

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
After the break the book will be
Submitted by Natalie on Mon, 2008-09-22 03:47.
Before I tell you what the new book is I wanted to give some info. Since we have usually taken the holidays for a break we will do that this year but take and extra month. That will give Misty time to bond with her new baby if he ever decides to be born.lol Shalini is pretty busy with her paper and Heather with work. Sarah is in her first trimester so I know she is tired. I think the rest of us are busy, I know I am suppose to be getting my sub test done and my applications stuff for cnm. I am sure Kim and Lanette are busy as well so lets just take a break and get refocused so we can come back and start new. If anyone would like to get together before the holidays lets do that! Ok so since the last meeting consisted of Misty and I then there wasn't anyone to suggest a new book. Everyone is busy so I am calling the new book. It will be Who Killed my Daughter by Lois Duncan. Now I picked this book because I have been wanting to re-read her books I read many moons ago. Many are out of print and when I asked the book lady from Page One she recommended this book. I came home and did some research and am very interested in reading it. If you want to look at the info go to her website. I think this book will make a good discussion.

Most likely the libraries will have the book but amazon has it used for a penny. With shipping it was $4.00.

Ok well I look forward to discussing the book but I hope we can have a movie night or something before the New Year. I'll keep you posted.

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
The turnout
Submitted by Natalie on Sun, 2008-09-14 22:55.
We had our meeting last night for The Giver. Sadly only Misty and I could make it. Sarah was not feeling well as was Allyson so Lanette was out. (Hope the baby and Sarah are better:( Shalini has been busy with her paper and Heather is out of town along with Kim. Sharon has been swamped with school. Therefor we held a little meeting last night but I think this book deserved to be discussed further. What I would like to do is to revisit the book at the next meeting. Further instructions to come...

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
September book choice
Submitted by Natalie on Mon, 2008-08-25 18:33.
Misty has picked the sept. book choice. It is The Giver by Lois Lowry. Since she is almost ready to pop the book is a small one with less that 200pg so everyone should have an easy time reading this book. And you have to read it and finish it because the ending is one that we need to talk about. It is an easy read that you'll enjoy. You can find out more at this link. If you go into a store to buy it you'll find it in the childrens' section. Also Misty said that Page One too has it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Giver-Lois-Lowry/dp/0440237688/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219688822&sr=1-1

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
Sarah's new addition!
Submitted by Natalie on Tue, 2008-08-19 16:58.
Sarah has some exciting news. She is going to have a new baby! At this point it's pretty early so I don't have a due date to share but sometime next year there will be yet a new baby to share at our meetings. So far that makes four new little ones that we will have added. Are we a fertile group or what? Congratulations to Sarah and Chesley!!!

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
My letter of Rage
Submitted by Natalie on Thu, 2008-08-07 03:51.
This is a copy of the letter I recently had posted on My3cents.com and addressed in an e-mail to Target to pretty much told me that I stole my camera from their store. (By telling me they have no "record" of my purchase even though it's on my bank statment!!!)

As follows

My husband and I increased our shopping at Target because we no longer wanted to give Wal-Mart our money. In the past 8 months we have easily spend at least $2,300 which is a lot for our family and we were happy to spend it at Target opposed to other stores. On May 9th, 2008 we purchased several items from Target. The main purchase was a Kodak EasyShare M893 IS Digital camera. This was a special purchase for me because it was my mother's day present. Off and on we have had some small problems with the camera but not huge ones. Then on the 3rd of August it stopped working. I had the box and all the inclusions but did not have the receipt. I took the product back to Target to be informed that I didn't buy the product from their store. I explained to the associate that I did buy it from Target but at the location closer to my husband's office. They told me that it showed up as a silver camera (mine is orchid) and that it wasn't registering on my visa or on my blank check. I then remembered that my husband paid the bill for it and returned 2 days later with his visa card. Again I was told that it wasn't from there but they then decided it was but couldn't find a record of it being on his card. They told me I could go to the location I bought it from and they would check their report from the day I purchased it and it would show up. I did as they told me and when to the location I purchased it from and had the same problem. They said it was from there but was not registering on the computer. I asked for a supervisor and a young man showed up and said he would look on the report for it. He came back and said that he didn't find any indication it was sold then. I explained to him that I had the purchase on my bank statement and asked him if he wanted me to find out the exact amount and he said that if I did that they would be able to find it. I called my husband and he gave me in info so I wouldn't have to leave the store. Then I called my bank to find out the exact date of purchase (5/9/08) and the date it showed on my statement (5/12/08) I returned to the customer service counter and was informed that the supervisor left (he told me he was going to do the research). She then asked for another supervisor and a young boy showed up. I again explained to him my situation and he said he would look up the info, but not before he stopped to chat it up with another young boy. Then after several minutes he informed me that on the 12th there was not an amount equal to what I had stated. I asked him why he didn't look at the 9th like I requested and he said "You want me to look at the 9th too?" which I again told him what the date of purchase was and he left only to return in a few minutes to tell me there was not a purchase amount like mine and that they couldn't do anything. I then asked for his supervisor but of course she wasn't there and he told me she had the same policy. Once home I called the target hot line only to get a foreign person on the phone. I again explained my story only to be told that they were sorry for my disappointment but that she couldn't help me. When I asked her why my amount was on my bank statement but why not on their computer she again told me she was sorry about my disappointment. After several more comments like that I then asked for her supervisor. She then transferred me to another representative who again told me she was sorry for my disappointment but that policy is policy. Frustrated I hung up and spent the rest of the night trying to decided if I will ever shop at Target again. It is also worth mentioning that my camera was just one in a long list of products I have purchased from Target only to have had to return or be disappointed with. I am not sure why this company would rather lose a customer that is likely to spend 7 to 10% of their yearly income at their store than to replace a $160.00 dollar camera? I am so DISAPPOINTED in their customer service that I think it will be a long while before I can return to their store.

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
The best time of the year!!!
Submitted by Natalie on Fri, 2008-08-01 15:41.
I have to say that I am getting excited again. It is quickly coming up on my favorite time of year. The time between August-December is just the best time of the year. To begin there is the excitement of going back to school. (Now that I have my own kids I see it still). Next comes the smell of chili roasting. I have blogged before how much I love that smell but I just have to say again how I love it. Then comes the lower temps which is always a plus although not being pg this summer I have to say that it has been less horrible this year although I have kept the kids in a lot and done the parks when the temps go down. Anyway then is the color change followed by all the great Birthdays. Actually we kick that part of with Kennedy’s and then we have at least one family member having a b-day every month until Jan and Feb, then March and April we get some more. This year we have an added b-day with my little Nova!! Just thinking she should be walking by Thanksgiving is crazy! Let’s not forget the Holidays. I start to look forward to Halloween in Sept. I love to think of all the cool costumes these girls can have. I am really pushing for vampires this year; want to do a whole Smile box to the Vampire song from Juno. Then there is Thanksgiving which this year I think I am going to let someone else host this year! Then one of the best things of all, 99.5 plays non-stop x-mass music from Thanksgiving till New Years! That it awesome and my fav thing. I might have to put some on today just thinking about it. On to the Parade of Lights with Shane's work team. That was so much fun last year I am really looking forward to it this year. Then comes the shopping of presents. Not the best part but you know it's still not too bad. Now comes Christmas and all that it entails. Let’s begin with the tree. I love it love it love it. I love the tree part!!! I just hate taking it down:( You begin to wonder when will It’s a Wonderful Life, and A Christmas Story, and Elf, and A Very Brady Christmas come on? (Just kidding about the Brady one!) Then comes the wrapping of presents and putting it under the tree. Now the only part about wrapping that I detest it the final hour of x-mass eve when my beloved mom pulls out all the presents she didn't get wrapped! Let me tell you that when you are dog tired and wrapping the 44th present when you can hardly keep your eyes open and all you care about it getting it done and Fred is trying to come into the room but can't because his stuff isn't wrapped and you and April keep fighting over tape and Mom lost her pen again and lets not forget that the stupid bows (I never put bows on my x-mass gifts they are a waste of material!) that have the sticker that never works right well that present comes out looking like Kennedy wrapped it. Then the morning comes, too early of course, but it comes and the kids are just thrilled and then the tear fest begins but it was a happy day! Then there is the sharing of stories over the dinner meal and families memories of Christmas past and I am getting weepy now as we remember our loved ones who we have lost but not really. And that is why I love it. Then the next few days are pretty good too but then comes the new year and then I start to get sad because my fav. time of year is pretty much over and I have to wait for 7 1/2 months for it again.

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
This is one of my favorite urban legends
Submitted by Natalie on Tue, 2008-07-22 02:26.
Paleoanthropology Division
Smithsonian Institute
207 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20078

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your latest submission to the Institute, labeled "211-D, layer seven, next to the clothesline post. Hominid skull." We have given this specimen a careful and detailed examination, and regret to inform you that we disagree with your theory that it represents "conclusive proof of the presence of Early Man in Charleston County two million years ago." Rather, it appears that what you have found is the head of a Barbie doll, of the variety one of our staff, who has small children, believes to be the "Malibu Barbie". It is evident that you have given a great deal of thought to the analysis of this specimen, and you may be quite certain that those of us who are familiar with your prior work in the field were loathe to come to contradiction with your findings. However, we do feel that there are a number of physical attributes of the specimen which might have tipped you off to it's modern origin:

# 1. The material is molded plastic. Ancient hominid remains are typically fossilized bone.

# 2. The cranial capacity of the specimen is approximately 9 cubic centimeters, well below the threshold of even the earliest identified proto-hominids.

# 3. The dentition pattern evident on the "skull" is more consistent with the common domesticated dog than it is with the "ravenous man-eating Pliocene clams" you speculate roamed the wetlands during that time. This latter finding is certainly one of the most intriguing hypotheses you have submitted in your history with this institution, but the evidence seems to weigh rather heavily against it. Without going into too much detail, let us say that:

* A. The specimen looks like the head of a Barbie doll that a dog has chewed on.

* B. Clams don't have teeth.

It is with feelings tinged with melancholy that we must deny your request to have the specimen carbon dated. This is partially due to the heavy load our lab must bear in it's normal operation, and partly due to carbon dating's notorious inaccuracy in fossils of recent geologic record. To the best of our knowledge, no Barbie dolls were produced prior to 1956 AD, and carbon dating is likely to produce wildly inaccurate results. Sadly, we must also deny your request that we approach the National Science Foundation's Phylogeny Department with the concept of assigning your specimen the scientific name "Australopithecus spiff-arino." Speaking personally, I, for one, fought tenaciously for the acceptance of your proposed taxonomy, but was ultimately voted down because the species name you selected was hyphenated, and didn't really sound like it might be Latin.

However, we gladly accept your generous donation of this fascinating specimen to the museum. While it is undoubtedly not a hominid fossil, it is, nonetheless, yet another riveting example of the great body of work you seem to accumulate here so effortlessly. You should know that our Director has reserved a special shelf in his own office for the display of the specimens you have previously submitted to the Institution, and the entire staff speculates daily on what you will happen upon next in your digs at the site you have discovered in your back yard. We eagerly anticipate your trip to our nation's capital that you proposed in your last letter, and several of us are pressing the Director to pay for it. We are particularly interested in hearing you expand on your theories surrounding the "trans-positating fillifitation of ferrous ions in a structural matrix" that makes the excellent juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex femur you recently discovered take on the deceptive appearance of a rusty 9-mm Sears Craftsman automotive crescent wrench.

Yours in Science,

Harvey Rowe
Curator, Antiquities

Variations:

* Sometimes the letter is directed to one Scott West of Newport, Rhode Island. In those versions, the curator who supposedly wrote the letter is Harold Jameson, not Harvey Rowe.

Origins: This tongue-in-cheek "letter" has been entertaining netizens in e-mail since 1994.

A story that good should be true. But it's not.

The letter is a charming bit of fiction; none of the details check out. Harvey Rowe of the Smithsonian doesn't exist. (Which is indeed our loss. What a talent for gentle sarcasm!) Moreover, the Smithsonian doesn't have an antiquities department.

If you call up and ask to speak to the mythical Harvey Rowe, the operator will put you through either to Anthropology or the Smithsonian's public affairs officer. Either way, you'll be greeted with "There's nobody here by that name." You won't be the first such caller, either. Far from it, the Smithsonian is heartily sick of being asked about Harvey Rowe.

There's also no hopeful backyard paleontologist busily excavating the land around his clothesline and implacably sending specimen after bogus specimen off to the Smithsonian. That too is fabrication.

There is a Harvey Rowe, but not of the Smithsonian. In the spring of 1994 and while a graduate student at MUSC in Charleston, South Carolina, he wrote what has become known as the Smithsonian Barbie letter. In a fit of creativity, he tossed off this mythical response to a backyard digger, then shared his writing effort with a small circle of friends. One of those friends sent the piece to others, and thus Smithsonian Barbie entered into the world of e-lore.

Barbara "dig it!" Mikkelson

Last updated: 9 April 2007
See Full Article

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
The books we have so far read in recent order
Submitted by Natalie on Fri, 2008-07-18 20:23.
• Savannah from Savannah by Denise Hildreth
• Stardust by Neil Gaiman
• Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
• Schuyler's Monster: A Father's Journey with His Wordless Daughter *
• Cane River *
• Twlight, by Stephanie Meyer
• East of Eden by John Steinbeck*
• A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
• Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden *
• The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards *
• Running with Scissors
• The Cat Who Went Bananas! By Lillian Jackson Braun
• "Night" by Elie Wiesel.
• The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
• The secret life of Bees

» Natalie's blog | login to post comments
Something that I'll never forget
Submitted by Natalie on Fri, 2008-07-18 05:16.
Today I read that Michelle Duggar is on her 18th baby. I am fascinated with her and her family, not because I want an army of children by any means but the fact that she had been through 16 pregnancies amazes me. I also read something about her today that I didn't read before, after her first child was born she went back on bc and had a miscarriage. That seemed to cause her and her husband to stop preventing and start accepting and praying for as many babies as they could have. Now 41 and she is having her 18th. Anyway it caused me to think about the miscarriage I had. I think about it a lot actually, at least a few times a week. It isn't the heartbreak that it was in the beginning the pain has eased but still I know that I was suppose to have another child, that I did have another one. Then I think "Well if I had that baby I wouldn't have Nova" and I cannot imagine my life without her. However it was an experience that I would not have like to have. The odd thing about it that until I had mine I didn't really know many people who had had one, especially my age. Then once it happened I discovered so many people had experienced it. It is like a horrible club that you suddenly are a par of without wanting to join. Wile I was pg with Nova that I constantly thought I was going to loose her, a fear that I didn't have with the other girls. For the first few months until I got to that second trimester I just waited for her to stop growing and for the pg to go away like before. Even after the first trimester I still had the fear, it lessened but it still lingered. One thing I thought was ironic is that most people wait until the second trimester to tell people just in case something happens. I never did that before, with Ava and Kennedy I knew at 6 weeks that I was pg. With the baby I lost I found out about the same time but I only told my immediate family and my parents and sister. My brothers didn't even know. And look at what happened. With Nova I briefly thought I would wait but that felt wrong and didn't. Luckily my miscarriage was a one time thing. (I hope that never happens again) Once I had her in my arms I FINALLY felt like I took take a breath and let it pass. I think that having Nova so soon was a blessing to me, one that I didn't seek or really want but she was there nevertheless. Until I found out I was pg again I thought about the miscarriage everyday and it was heartbreaking. Nova didn't replace that baby but she lessened the pain. This is what I was thinking about with the Duggar Family. Maybe that is a small small part of their reason for having their enormous family, because for them preventing one caused them to loose one and they don't ever want to go through that pain again. For that I completely understand. Recently the bookclubers and I were discussing the pains labor and for me my miscarriage pain was the worse. The combination of delivering (I was early but still I went thorough labor) and not having something to have after it was unbearable. I remember calling my mom and asking her if she ever thought I would be normal again. (I also called my mom after Shane and I had Ava and told her I think I made a big mistake!lol Hormones cause you to have some moments) 21 months and a beautiful baby girl later it is better but not forgotten. And tonight I have a better understanding for the Duggar Family.

No comments: